Your Business Name
How to Care For Your Skin Before and After a Microneedling Treatment
Microneedling is an extremely safe and effective cosmetic procedure. However, as with all treatments, it’s essential to take special care of your skin before and after the procedure for fast recovery and best results.
Microneedling Pre-Treatment Instructions
Following the right pre-treatment instructions ensures that your treatment will go smoothly and helps minimize side effects.
• Avoid Accutane in the six months prior to beginning your treatment sessions.
• Do not use topical agents that may increase the sensitivity of your skin such as retinoids, exfoliants, topical antibiotics or acids 5-7 days prior to your treatment.
• Do not take anti-inflammatory medications such as ibuprofen, Motrin, or Advil for at least 3 days prior to your microneedling session. These will interfere with the natural inflammatory process that is critical for your skin rejuvenation.
• Avoid IPL/Laser procedures, unprotected sun exposure, or sunburn for at least 2 weeks prior to your procedure.
• No waxing, depilatory creams, or electrolysis to the area being treated for 5-7 days prior.
• Do not shave the day of the procedure to avoid skin irritation. If there’s dense hair present in the treatment area, shave the day before you arrive for your appointment.
• If you’re prone to cold sores, take an antiviral agent for 2 days prior to and the day of the treatment.
• Avoid blood thinning agents for one week prior because bruising is a common side effect of microneedling.
Day of Treatment
Knowing what to expect on the day of your microneedling treatment will make this procedure as comfortable and anxiety-free as possible for you.
What To Expect At Your Appointment
• Your skin will be cleaned so it’s free of lotion, oil, makeup, powder, or sunscreen. If you wish, you can wash your face in the office upon arrival.
• You will be asked to inform your skin care specialist about any relevant changes in your medical history and of all the medications you’re taking.
• Your specialist will ask iif there are any cosmetic tattoos in the treatment areas.
• 30-45 minutes prior to your treatment, topical lidocaine will be applied to your skin.
• The microneedling treatment is an in-office procedure that typically takes up to 60 minutes to complete.
As with any cosmetic skin treatment, it’s important to look after your skin following a microneedling procedure for best results.
• Do not take any anti-inflammatory medications for one week after the procedure.
• Do not use ice on your face, and avoid using arnica/bromelain. These may interfere with the natural inflammatory process that’s critical for your skin rejuvenation.
• Avoid sun tanning and prolonged exposure to direct sunlight for at least 2 weeks. After 24 hours, always use sunblock (30 SPF or higher) and wear a hat if you’re outside.
• Use a painkiller, such as Tylenol, if you experience any soreness.
The Healing Process: What to Expect After a Microneedling Treatment
Microneedling is a quick and non-invasive cosmetic procedure with minimal side effects. However, it’s quite normal to experience the following:
A sunburn-like effect is normal. Your skin may feel tight, dry or sensitive to touch. Treat the skin gently by washing it with a gentle cleanser, cool water, and using only your hands to pat dry no earlier than 4 hours after treatment.
Some redness may also be present and in some cases, patients may experience slight bruising that can last for 5-7 days and temporary swelling for 2-4 days.
• Avoid strenuous exercises that cause sweating as well as jacuzzis, saunas, and steam baths for up to 48 hours.
• Use only mineral makeup after 24 hours.
• Sleep on your back with the head of the bed elevated to minimize swelling or pain as needed.
Peeling may start 3-5 days after the treatment. You’ll notice skin dryness and flaking which is due to an increased turnover of skin cells. DO NOT pick, scratch, or scrub at treated skin!
Important information: You must allow the old skin to flake off naturally and keep it moisturized at all times. Talk to your skin specialist about which products to use.
You may start your regular skin care products again, once your skin no longer feels irritated. Most of our patients have noticed continued skin improvement over the months following their last treatment.
For best results: We recommend follow-up and repeat microneedling treatments every 4-6 weeks, with a series of 3-5 treatments depending on your personalized care plan.